An LCD display’s sunlight readability depends on the difference between display brightness and the ability to reflect ambient light.
Sunlight can make the screen of the display hard to read. When a touch screen is added to the display, the ability to properly see the display image becomes increasingly difficult. A touch screen on an LCD display adds extra reflections.
A reflection is caused by a mismatch between air and glass or plastic. This mismatch makes whites brighter, while it tempers blacks and other colours. This quickly reduces the contrast of the display. Contrast is a tremendous influence on the sunlight readability of the display.
There are many technologies to increase the outdoor viewing ability of an LCD display.
High Bright LED Backlight
- can accomplish a much higher brightness- LEDs are designed to operate in extreme ambient light conditions, such as in direct sunlight
- fully dimmable, so the brightness can be adapted based on the environment of the application
- designed for power conservation and provides proper thermal management.
- focuses on reflection- reducing the contrast of the display enhances the image
- acts as joining two optical elements, such as the display screen and a (protective) overlay or the display and a touch screen – involves transparent adhesive which also provides vandal resistance
- resistant to extreme temperatures
- reduces the gap between the layers, which makes the designs light and thin
- reinforces and ruggedises the display – better equipped to handle shock and minimises breakage
- increases the safety of the product -the bond will keep the glass in place even when it breaks from abuse.
- display surfaces can be treated with an anti-reflection surface treatment.
UV and Infra-red Protective Films
- protects LCD against the sun which can be very damaging for the lifetime and UV effects the readability over time
- Infra-red light beams produce heat, overheating can cause damage to the display.
For more information including pricing and a data sheets please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our main office on +44 (0) 1634 327 420.